Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Why Sports? (Casey)

 So as I sat yesterday and watched my beloved Steelers fall in a game they needed to win I began to think, Why is it I watch sports and cheer for specific teams? Why is it I put so much emotion, so much pride, so much money into supporting a bunch of people gathered together to play a game? Why is it when my favorite teams lose I take it so personal or when the teams I despise wins I get so upset?
Its because at a young age I began grabing onto things like sports I looked for reasons to cheer.One of my favorite things to do was go to BYU football games with my Dad. We would get up early on any given saturday morning, pack up the car with treats and head up to mighty Provo dressed up in our BYU gear ready to cheer. I remember listening to Paul James on the Radio as we headed up the freeway, I actually remember hearing some garden show on KSL that always came on before the pregame show. I remember getting there and parking at the old Daily Herald Building on Freedom Boulevard and being so excited to go into the stadium where we sat on the north endzone close to the top. I remember the guy behind us who would yell "DDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEE" every time the Defense would take the field, I could never figure out how he was able to yell that long without taking a breath. I remember cheering untill I couldnt talk and when the game was over I would always ask Dad to buy me some BYU garb. Then we would get back to the car and turn on KSL for the post game show on the way home fighting traffic to the freeway. I loved every minute of it and to this day still do. I loved every sunday turning on the TV and watching the NFL, and the NBA. I loved watching the Jazz play on tv. I, like all Jazz fans was jumping up and down in my living room when John Stockton hit the shot in Houston that sent the Jazz to the NBA finals. And then how mad I was that they couldn't beat Jordan and the Bulls 2 years in a row. I was laying on my parents couch when the announcement came down that Utah would get the 2002 Winter Olympics and how excited I was for that untill I did the math and realized I would be on my LDS mission and would miss it. I remember being heartbroken when the Steelers lost to the Cowboys in Super Bowl XXX, and how excited I was when they beat Seattle in Super Bowl XL and the Arizona Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII. I think the reason I love sports so much is that it is a way to express joy and sorrow. To be able to grab ahold of something and cheer and get excited for them to do well. Sports has a way to provide a incredible high and it also has a way to provide incredible lows. As long as we keep sports in prespective in life it can be a very very enjoyable thing as well as a great way to create memories., To this day I am greatfull to my Dad and my family for getting me involved with sports and to my wife and kids for allowing me to continue my passion for sports no matter how nutty I get when I watch. I love hearing my kids cheer for the teams they watch, my daughter cheering for GO BYU, and my son jumping up and down and  clapping his little hands whenever his Dad cheers, and my beautiful wife for coming and sitting by me telling me sorry that my team is losing and the way she laughes me off when I do some silly dance when my teams score. In other words, Why Sports? Why Not!

1 comment:

  1. I loved this entry. After reading it I had to think about why I love sports so much. I think it gives us that release we all need. I mean where else can you go and scream at the top of your lungs do the wave or some funky dance and not feel stupid. When my teams do well I experience a high that can't be measured. Some of my funnest times have been going to sporting events with family and friends. With media now it gives us all a way to enjoy something with a group without spending a lot. This world would be a lot less fun without sports

    ReplyDelete