Friday, August 23, 2013

Rivalry opinions? (Casey)

So as the football season draws closer and closer and for Utah and Utah State it will be here in 6 days so right off the bat we get a rivalry game. Rivalry games are awesome and something I look forward to every year. Not just BYU vs Utah or USU vs Utah or BYU vs USU, but nationally I love Michigan vs Ohio State, ND vs USC, Texas vs Oklahoma, Georgia vs Florida and many other. They get the fan bases are riled up and excited and even sometimes they get a little extreme. Trash talking is fine with me, I love the back and forth between fan bases and the banter that it creates, THAT said there is a time to do it and a time to keep your mouth shut. I am kind of getting fed up with the trash talk I receive in locations that I would not expect to get it. For local fans in the state of Utah lets take Church for example. In a meeting where you are suppose to be trying to feel a certain way and all of the sudden you have somebody take a shot at the other team or there fan base is NOT an appropriate place to display your distaste for the other team. And lately I have ran into a trend of going into gas stations and being harassed by the clerks about me wearing a BYU hat or shirt or something. You are there as a representative of that establishment and should not be telling me as a customer that you do not serve BYU fans in there, I am buying a drink, take my money and shut the hell up! Now maybe I am being to sensitive? Maybe I should just take it and laugh (which I do)? It to me seems a little unprofessional to get after someone for wearing or cheering for a certain team in a place of business especially when you are working there. There is a certain gas station in Orem that I used to go to all the time until a employee began giving me a hard time for wearing a BYU hat. I bantered back and forth with him but do I really wanna hear him talk crap about what I am wearing every time I go in there? NO I just wanna get my stuff and get out, like I said before take my money and shut up! Now this goes to all fan bases that talk crap to other fan bases when you work for a company is wrong in my mind as well. I remember working for a company that told us we are to not have any kind of sports or political things on our vehicles because If you pull into someones driveway and they happen to not like or disagree with your point of view they may never call you back and now you have lost a customer. So I guess the point I am trying to make is, trash talk is fine and fun and I love it, but it needs to be done in places outside of work. If and when you work for ANY company DO NOT share your opinion on your favorite sports team when uninvited to do so. Thats my rant for today and If I am just whining about something very stupid and unimportant I'm sorry but I for one have had enough of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment